[Marxism] STATEMENT ON NUCLEAR POWER AND CLIMATE

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 20:47:23 MDT 2009

Nuclear Information and Resource Service

MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD!

SIGN THE STATEMENT ON NUCLEAR POWER AND CLIMATE NOW!
http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=miY2dCHTRWuZdo8f%2FdJuqcU1FM8JHNUP

September 9, 2009

Dear Friends,

More than 11,000 people already have signed our simple statement on
nuclear power and climate. It's endorsed by 675 organizations so far,
from 48 states and Washington, DC (we're missing only Wyoming and
North Dakota) and from every corner of the globe.

Many of you already have signed it, and we thank you. But many of you
haven't (one way we know that: our e-mail list is several thousand
people larger than 11,000!).

We're now making our final U.S. push for signers. If you haven't
signed yet, please do so now. Even more importantly, please check the
list of organizational signers carefully (U.S. list here;
international list here). If your organization or business is not
listed as an endorser, and you are authorized to sign on behalf of
your organization, please be sure to sign now (and click the box that
says you are signing for your organization).

Let's get an organization or two in Wyoming and North Dakota as well!
But please, do not sign for an organization unless you are authorized
to do so.

We're going to take this tremendous list of organizations and
hand-deliver it to every Senator at the end of September, along with
the thousands of postcards we've been collecting. And we want the list
to be as complete as possible.

The statement itself is simple but in the context of the upcoming
climate bill in the Senate, hard-hitting: "We do not support
construction of new nuclear reactors as a means of addressing the
climate crisis. Available renewable energy and energy efficiency
technologies are faster, cheaper, safer and cleaner strategies for
reducing greenhouse emissions than nuclear power."

Want more info on nuclear power and climate? Check out our recent
article first published on DailyKos: Top 10 Reasons Nukes Won't Save
Climate. It's full of info you can use to counter those who claim we
need nuclear power to deal with the climate crisis. The truth is, we
don't. In fact, it would be counterproductive!

Now that the Senate has again delayed work on its climate
bill--apparently they now plan to begin around the end of
September--we have more time to collect more signatures, and to
collect more postcards. If you can distribute postcards over the next
couple of weeks, let us know, and we'll send you as many as you'd
like. Just send an e-mail to nirsnet at nirs.org and let us know how many
you want and where to send them. Those of you on our snail mail list
should have received two of them--one for each of your Senators--last
week.

*Again, organizations, please check the list carefully to make sure
your organization is listed. The list of U.S. organizational signers
is here; the list of international organizational signers is here. If
you're not on this list (and you're definitely not all on this list!),
please sign now.

*If you haven't yet signed the statement, whether an organization or
individual, please do so here. And then, please send this along to all
your friends and colleagues across the world. Let's get as many
signatures as we can during this final September push!

Finally, if you can make a small, tax-deductible donation to help us
pay for the costs that will be involved in printing these materials
for 100 Senators, and the larger costs of our campaign to counter the
myth that nuclear power is an effective or acceptable means of
addressing the climate crisis, we'd really appreciate it. You can do
so here and win our eternal gratitude.

Thanks for all you do,

Michael Mariotte

Executive Director

Nuclear Information and Resource Service

www.nirs.org

nirsnet at nirs.org

P.S. If you're interested in the climate crisis, then you'll want to
see The Age of Stupid! NIRS is proud to be a co-sponsor of this
important film's spectacular release: On September 21, the film will
have its U.S. premiere from a solar-powered stage in New York City and
will be sent via satellite to movie theaters across the U.S., and
indeed across the globe. Join millions of people participating in this
event worldwide. For more information, and to find a theater near you
showing The Age of Stupid, go here.

 fwd by Danene Provencher