[Marxism] Obama’s solution is to pay the enemy

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Sep 10 06:22:51 MDT 2009

http://trueslant.com/allisonkilkenny/2009/09/09/obamas-solution-is-to-pay-the-enemy/
Allison Kilkenny
Unreported

Obama’s solution is to pay the enemy

During his speech before a joint session of Congress, President Obama
called for the creation of insurance exchanges, a system designed to
allow consumers to see varying prices and programs so they can
comparison shop. Obama only mentioned the P-word once, and even then the
public option name drop was immediately followed by the caveats “We
should remain open to other ideas that accomplish our ultimate goal,”
and the public option is only a “means to an end.” Read: It’s a nice
idea, but drop it.

Elsewhere, Obama recycled the usual reasons for why single-payer
healthcare, the Progressives’ other favored solution, just isn’t
possible right now (at the mere mention of single-payer sporadic cheers
broke out in the audience.) “I believe it makes more sense to build on
what works and fix what doesn’t, rather than try to build an entirely
new system from scratch,” said the president. This dismisses Marcia
Angell’s idea of a gradual expansion of Medicare, a slow transition that
wouldn’t have violently jolted our beloved system of privatized healthcare.

But nevermind. Back to the insurance exchange idea. Obama means citizens
will be required by law to purchase their coverage from private
insurers. Similarly, Max Baucus’s disastrous recent proposal calls for
mandates that will literally force individuals and families to purchase
insurance from the enemy — and one of the great culprits of the entire
reform debate — Big Insurers. Without a serious public option (and not
the “I’m humoring them, have they shut up yet?” approach Obama seems to
be suggesting,) the insurance industry has a captive market, the
American people, who will be held hostage in a for-profit health
insurance scheme.

Between Obama’s peddling of exchanges and Baucus’s mandate pimping,
Americans are faced with the nightmarish bastard of corporate whoring
and endless concessions: no public option, possible mandates, and
healthcare exchanges. Seriously, if you had asked me at the start of
this process what my worst case scenario would be — short of a meteor
slamming into the Earth — this is it.

Exchanges are like a watered down version of the original watered down
compromise of co-ops. And let’s remember that the public option was
supposedly a compromise derived from Progressive’s true desire,
universal healthcare.

Under Obama’s proposal, insurers may not be able to deny double
mastectomy procedures anymore, but without a public option, breast
cancer victims will continue to pay skyrocketing premiums, which is also
no treat when cancer is ravaging one’s body. Once again, Americans are
being asked to let the free market solve all their problems, but without
some heavy regulation, it’s unclear how an insurance exchange will
successfully control costs.

So going into final negotiations for healthcare reform, the Progressives
are being asked to enthusiastically support a watered down version
(exchanges) of a watered down version (co-ops) of a watered down version
(public option) with a little unlubricated sodomy on the side
(mandates.) By the way, the second Progressives act less than
hysterically positive about Obama’s speech, we’ll be called everything
from stupid idealists to naive, unserious, political amateurs.

Obama said all the right things about death panels being a lie, and
private insurers doing very bad things, but then he sacrificed his
credibility by calling the public option a “means to an end.” What end?
I kind of thought insuring every American was the “end,” and the only
way to do that is with the public option. If private insurers are
permitted to exploit sick people, then whatever “public option”
ultimately emerges in the healthcare bill will be too small and
superficial to help the majority of uninsured and underinsured Americans.

Laughter broke out when Obama conceded than many details still need to
be ironed out. Yeah, a biggie will be how these insurance exchanges will
control costs and seriously compete with private insurers. Otherwise,
Congress is working toward legally requiring citizens to purchase
healthcare on the private market with all its skyrocketing costs and
shady practices.