[Marxism] Soviet supercomputing.

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 09:55:07 MDT 2009

Start with Michael Ellman's book on Soviet planning. Also google
Kantorovich, linear programming, Lieberman reforms.
Years ago I stumbled on an entire book about the use of computers in
Soviet economics but will have to dig it up.
My recollection is that the use of computers for planning, coming at a
time when the only perceived reform possibility was increased use of
market mechanisms rather than workers' self-management and democracy,
limited their usefulness.
PS: I had to laugh when I saw Lebedev's name, as I'm currently
re-reading Dostoevsky's "The Idiot," which has a minor character by
that name who's a total nutjob. But Les is right about the importance
of the real Lebedev.