[Marxism] last night's town hall meeting

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 11:35:32 MDT 2009

Great points, Ralph. In the same vein there's all the medical tourists
to Canada -- and Mexico! -- for care and to buy meds. Should they be
banned and/or prosecuted? By the racists' logic, yes.

As for your point about what kind of crises it takes to get people to
think in a more solidaristic way and to act collectively: Well, we're
all at least a little familiar with some historical examples of that,
and perhaps personal examples from the picket line. But you also
reminded me of a book review last Sunday about people's responses to
disasters:
"A Paradise Built in Hell: The Extraordinary Communities That Arise in
Disaster" http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/books/review/Vanderbilt-t.html?_r=1
It presents some great examples of how people respond collectively in
a well-organized way to disaster -- but unfortunately muddies the
waters by depending on bourgeois economic and sociological
explanations of how that might happen. As a result, the reviewer can't
answer his own simple question -- "why Cuba, in contrast to its
neighbors (including the United States), responds so well to
hurricanes," and puts it down to "the role of social capital, a
soft-power variable that is played down in disaster management but
which might help answer such interesting questions." Yeaarrghhh.