[Marxism] marxist biographies

Einde O'Callaghan eindeoc at freenet.de
Thu Sep 10 17:36:31 MDT 2009

Mark Lause wrote:
> The responses on this thread have so far centered on iconography.   I
> wonder what this tells us about the extent to which bits of Marxism
> wind up subsumed back into the "great man" assumptions about history.

Actually several of the books I and others mentioned attempt to put
certain well-known figures into their social and political context.
While Soviet hagiographies may have tended to towards the "great man"
assumptions I don't think this is necessarily true on non-soviet
biographical works.

In addition to those dealing with Marxists, which have been mentioned so
far, I'd like to add Christopher Hill's biographies of Milton and
Cromwell, E.P. Thompson's biography of William Morris and Maxime
Rodinson's biography of Muhammad - all of these do indeed deal with
major historical figures but they are much more than descriptions of the
life of their respective "great man".

Redwords has also published a series of short biographical writings cum
cultural critiques of a number of major cultural figures - Rembrandt,
Mozart, John Coltrane, Frank Sinatra, Diego Rivera, William Blake and
Shakespeare are the ones I recall.

Einde O'Callaghan