[Marxism] last night's town hall meeting

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri Sep 11 09:44:41 MDT 2009

In a message dated 9/10/2009 9:21:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
russo.matthew9 at gmail.com writes:

one of the best things that could come out of the Obama experience would  be
if one of the right wing's wacko minions were to (heaven forbid, of  course)
actually assassinate Obama.    The righteous anger  they would have
unleashed
upon themselves would be richly  deserved.

-Matt

Mark Lause writes:

> Do people really think about what they're saying?   I think even an
> attempt at the assassination of President Obama would have exactly the
> opposite effect.
==================================
For sure. It would lead to a crackdown on right-wing terrorist groups,
against whom the Dept of Homeland Security has already warned, which would
also involve further surveillance and curtailment of the the rights of
dissenters on the liberal and radical left.

There is discernible concern within the ruling class that the racist and
reactionary attacks on Obama and the "liberal/communist" Democrats are
provoking a political crisis of legitimacy in relation to the office of the
President and the Congress. Hence, the fierce reaction to the outburst by
South Carolina Republican Joe Wilson the other night, including by the
party's elders who are coming under pressure to keep their base in line
rather than pander to it.