[Marxism] "Crude" director responds to Chevron

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Sep 11 15:30:59 MDT 2009

In the September 9 Reuters news story “Is Chevron Scared of ‘Crude’ The
Movie?”
(http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/09/09/business/business-uk-chevron-ecuador-crude.html?_r=1),
Chevron spokesperson Kent Robertson criticizes the award-winning new
film Crude on the day of its theatrical premiere, calling it “long on
emotion and short on facts.” Crude director Joe Berlinger responds to
the allegations:

“I find Kent Robertson’s comments about Crude to be extremely troubling,
given the fact that he has yet to see the film. I have made multiple
offers to screen the film for Mr. Robertson and his colleagues at
Chevron, and my offers have been declined. Just last week, he told me
that the company sees ‘no meaningful value’ in having a private
screening, but they would ‘simply wait until the film hits [their] local
theatres.’ Since Crude opened in New York on the same day the
California-based Mr. Robertson made his comments to Reuters, I would be
surprised if he has seen it, which makes me wonder why he is attacking
the film.”

“The comment that Crude is ‘short on facts’ is outlandish. The film goes
to great lengths to give as much attention to the positions of each of
the opposing parties in this landmark case as is possible in a feature
length documentary. Stephen Holden of the New York Times – among other
prominent critics – specifically cited this quality, saying, ‘rarely
have such conflicts been examined with the depth and power of Crude.’
Perhaps the ‘facts’ that Mr. Robertson is referring to are not the
talking points that his company has been working so hard to inject into
the news cycle in the days leading up to Crude’s release.”

“While Crude attempts to present both sides of the legal case, it
concerns me that Mr. Robertson continues to criticize the film’s
presentation of the story by obfuscating the accusations against his
company. Mr. Robertson told Reuters, ‘If you're seeing fresh oil today
... how can that be the responsibility of a company that stopped
operating in 1990?’ The systems and infrastructure that the plaintiffs
say dumped billions of gallons of oil and toxic waste products into the
Amazon rainforest in Ecuador were designed, built and operated for
decades solely by Texaco (which merged with Chevron in 2001), according
to the suit. Although the operation was later taken over by
PetroEcuador, it is the theory of the plaintiffs’ case that Chevron is
responsible not only for the past pollution, but the current pollution
as well, because they turned over a faulty system to the current
operator. To ignore this would be to miss a key point in the story
examined in Crude.  While Mr. Robertson is not an attorney, he is surely
aware of this major detail in the case against the company, which has
now been going on for sixteen years.”

An e-mail from Mr. Berlinger to Mr. Robertson asking him to clarify his
comments regarding the film’s omissions has gone unanswered.

Crude is now playing in New York at the IFC Center. The film opens in
Los Angeles on September 18, and expands nationwide throughout the fall.