[Marxism] British neofascist development

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Sep 12 07:32:56 MDT 2009

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/11/english-defence-league-chaotic-alliance
English Defence League: chaotic alliance stirs up trouble on streets

Football fans are being recruited to join protests against Muslims. How
worried should the authorities be?

The rise of the English Defence League, whose protests against Islamism
have sparked violent city centre clashes, has been chaotic but rapid.

Three months ago, no one had heard of the EDL. But the organisation has
risen to prominence in a spate of civil unrest in which far-right
activists, football hooligans and known racists have fought running
battles with Asian youths. The leadership insists they are not racist
and just want to "peacefully protest against militant Islam".

Yet at EDL events, skinheads have raised Nazi salutes and other EDL
supporters have chanted racist slogans such as "I hate Pakis more than
you". One protest in Luton in May ended with scores of people attacking
Asian businesses, smashing cars and threatening passersby.

Insiders have talked of plans to enlist football fans to march for the
cause on the basis that "you need an army for a war".

With the organisation's confidence growing and plans for rallies in
Leeds, Manchester and tomorrow in Trafalgar Square, concerned police
chiefs and government ministers are asking what the English Defence
League is, and what it wants.

It appears to have a hardcore of fewer than 200 in "divisions" in
Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds and Luton. But those ranks are swelled by
rightwing groups including gangs related to football clubs. Last night
close to 500 had said they were considering attending the protest in London.

Its roots are modest, according to its self-proclaimed leader, a
28-year-old carpenter from Luton who goes by the pseudonym Tommy
Robinson. He said the germ of the EDL was evident growing up in the
Bedfordshire town.

"Everyone mixes until the age of 13 or 14 and then it stops and there
are Asian dinner tables at school," he said. "I don't know what it is.
Maybe their parents don't want them to mix."

Those separate tables are magnified in Luton today where a large part of
the Muslim population lives in a network of streets around the main
mosque in Bury Park. The town has had an unhappy connection with
Islamist terrorism ever since four suicide bombers set off from there to
attack London's transport system and kill 52 people on 7 July 2005.

Before that, there were tensions when a radical Muslim group protested
in the town centre after the invasion of Afghanistan in 2001. Those
feelings reached boiling point this March, when a small group of Muslim
antiwar protesters held up placards at the homecoming of the 2nd
Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment which read "Butchers of Basra" and
"Anglian soldiers go to hell".

"The group that protested against the soldiers had been in the town
centre since 2001," said Robinson. "In 2004 we held our own protest when
we held a banner up saying 'Ban the Luton Taliban'.

"We were groups of friends and family, people who had gone to school
with each other. We decided they could not be in the town centre again."

Only a handful of Muslim protesters disrupted the Anglians' homecoming
parade, and they were drawn from an small extremist group that had
already been ostracised by the mainstream Muslim community. However, it
was enough for Robinson and others to set up a group called United
People of Luton, and look across the country for support.

"We realised we didn't just want them off the streets of Luton, we
wanted them off the streets of Britain," said Robinson.

Using Facebook, they forged links with a Birmingham-based group called
British Citizens Against Muslim Extremists and quickly realised there
was potential for a national organisation. "When we saw Birmingham's
demonstration they were using the same slogans as us: 'We want our
country back', 'Terrorists off the streets', 'Extremists out', 'Rule
Britannia'. From there the EDL was set up."

Chief superintendent Mark Turner, of Bedfordshire police, said the
group's aims were "really quite ill-defined".

That stems from the different interests that have rallied to a cause,
which itself was named after the Welsh Defence League, set up by Jeff
Marsh, a former football hooligan and convicted criminal.

The movement has been so fragmented that Robinson set up a website to
drum up interest in March, while Chris Renton, listed as an "activist"
on the BNP's leaked membership list, set up another EDL site. Paul Ray,
another far-right activist from Dunstable, near Luton, broadcast video
polemics on YouTube.

Ray's broadcasts on his Spirit of St George internet channel include his
claim that a "very, very high proportion of the Muslim population is an
Islamic extremist" and his description of Luton's Muslim community as
"an al-Qaida enclave".

According to Robinson, none of these activities were co-ordinated.

By Ray's own account published on his Lionheart blog on the eve of the 8
August clashes in Birmingham: "The English Defence League that was
originally built over many months and eventually set up by myself and
others, was hijacked over the last couple of weeks leading up to
tomorrow by a bunch of 'pirates' led by Chris Renton."

Around the same time, Trevor Kelway, a Portsmouth-based EDL supporter,
became a spokesman for the organisation. In statements and phone
interviews, Kelway pushed the line that the EDL was a peaceful,
non-racist organisation, even promising that the last Birmingham protest
would be "a great day out for all concerned".

When the day arrived EDL supporters were involved in running battles and
police made 90 arrests.

Sharon Rowe, assistant chief constable of West Midlands, said the force
had tried "everything they could" to liaise with the EDL before the
demonstration but had been largely ignored. "If the EDL come back to
this city I've got more of an evidence case and intelligence to
therefore arrest them a lot earlier, to prevent a breach of the peace."

Fringe groups are rife in the world of the EDL, many of them have been
established for far longer, and their beliefs often appear contradictory.

Davy Cooling, 26, a driver from Luton who helps run the EDL, admits to
attending BNP events when he was younger, although he said he is not a
member of the party.

"A few years ago I attended two or three meetings of the BNP in Luton,
but I do not agree with their policy of banning black and other ethnic
minoirity groups from membership. It doesn't matter what religion or
race you are. Everyone is welcome to the EDL."

What does unite the group is a willingness to fight, said Robinson. "We
feel that only people with that mentality will go [to demonstrate]," he
said. "That's why it's all lads. Your upper class people won't stand
there and get attacked, through fear.

"I am from the mentality that I am not going to back down. It started
with what they did to the soldiers, but after that it has been about the
two-sided treatment our community get compared to what the Muslim
community get from the police and the council. The police hit us with
batons and come at them with kid gloves."

This is not a version of events recognised by Bedfordshire police's Mark
Turner: "We've had a series of marches where we have seen damage to
property, we have seen people being assaulted, we have seen the odd
racist attack – and that quite simply can't be tolerated."

Robinson said the group has recruited football supporters from clubs
including Chelsea, QPR, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Aston Villa, Swansea
and Cardiff.

But its lack of coherence has attracted the interest of those keen to
harness the EDL's growing support.

They include Alan Lake, a London-based far-right activist who has
advised Swedish nationalists on "countering jihad" and is advising the
EDL in an attempt to broaden support with football fans and marshal
events more carefully.

"We are catching a baby at the start of gestation," said Lake, who is
considering funding the EDL. "We have a problem with numbers. We have an
army of bloggers [in the far-right] but that's not going to get things done.

"Football fans are a potential source of support. They are a hoi polloi
that gets off their backsides and travels to a city and they are
available before and after matches." Observers from anti-fascist groups
draw parallels between the EDL anger at Islamists and an earlier
generation of football hooligans who supported loyalist paramilitary groups.

"In the 1980s and 1990s these hooligan groups perceived the threat to
English masculinity was coming from the IRA's mainland bombing
campaign," said Nick Lowles from Searchlight.

"They associated themselves with the loyalist movement and the chant 'no
surrender to the IRA' was popular at football grounds around the
country. Now many see what they term 'Islamist extremism' as the biggest
threat."

Lowles said that while many of the hooligans involved were nationalists
and racists, only a handful would associate themselves with fascist,
far-right policies. "While it is not a fascist organisation, there are a
handful of organised fascists in key positions We are concerned that as
the EDL grows it will attract more extremists and fascists."

Lowles warned that the threat posed by the EDL should not be
underestimated. "We saw the effects of hooligan incursions into Oldham
and Bradford in 2001 and we must ensure that small groups of racists
cannot whip up and incite this sort of trouble again.

"The authorities have a responsibility to local communities to protect
them from violence. We have witnessed enough of the EDL to know that
they want to whip up trouble wherever possible. They must nip this
problem in the bud."

---

Lenin's Tomb report on resistance to EDL:

http://leninology.blogspot.com/2009/09/english-defence-league-humiliated-in.html