[Marxism] Examples of the use of force by American forces against its citizens

Terry Burke terrence.finnerty at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 06:51:02 MDT 2009

re: Examples of the use of force by American forces against its citizens

ATTACK ON THE 2008 “RAINBOW GATHERING” IN WYOMING – A FATAL PROGRAM, AND A
SIGN OF THE TIMES

On July 3rd 2008, just a day before the U.S. “Independence Day” U.S. Forest
Service officers attacked peace loving rainbow gatherers in Dick Cheney’s
home state of Wyoming.

They were so violent, like dogs,” Robert Parker told reporter Deborah
Stevens of the libertarian-oriented, Round Rock, Texas-based We the People
Radio Network [www.wtprn.com] after the incident. :

Deborah Stevens appeared on my syndicated talk radio show days after the
incident on July 8th, 2008. :

“People yelled at them, ‘You’re shooting children,’” Parker said.

About 7,000 people had arrived at the gathering near Big Sandy in the Wind
River Mountains for the annual Gathering of the Tribes, a seven-day event of
fellowship, which included, praying, and living on the land.

Steven’s told me that a riot began after U.S. Forest Service officers began
harassing the attendees (The officers were actually a Washington, DC based
tactical team called the “Incident Command Team”, trained in urban assault)

http://deadlinelive.info/2008/08/13/attack-on-the-2008-rainbow-gathering-in-wyoming-a-fatal-program-and-a-sign-of-the-times/

=================================

Rainbow Family Gatherings have been Federal targets for decades

from http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2006/06/27/18283162.php
Rumour Control
by starfire Thursday Jun 29th, 2006 10:59 PM

"...it has been happening since Day One (1972, in Granby Colorado, roads
were blocked and 5,000 folks put on their packs and walked in 5 miles to the
gathering site)... and it got worse during Bush I regime, in 1988 when the
Texas Gathering was roadblocked completely, and supplies had to be brought
in by boat. Since 1995, when the Forest disService anti-gathering
regulations passed, it has been "illegal" to gather in the national forest
in groups of over 75 without a special-use occupancy permit.

Most of us have resisted signing such a permit, on the grounds that it is
our constitutional and goddess-given right to gather on public lands, for
the purposes of free assembly, religion, and speech... we have consistently
fought this regulation in the courts and have lost every time, with several
of our Family serving up to 90 days in federal prison for their resistance.

There are many reasons we have resisted this rulemaking. One of them is that
since 1984 people in our family, with the backing of the Family Council,
have consistently entered into agreements, called "Operating Plans" with the
Forest Service Resource Managers (not to be confused with LEO's/Incident
Command officers/treepigs) who are familiar with the unique needs of their
national forests, and who can help us locate appropriate sites for our
shitters, compost pits, and kitchens in a way that is suitable for the area,
keeping hydrology and geology in mind...

Before this 1995 administrative rulemaking, these resource manager folks
also helped us with site locations for regionals, as well as helping us get
the appropriate vegetation seed for the area during cleanup. We typically
arrange emergency medical transport as well as planning for how recycling
and garbage disposal will happen, as well as contacting local tribes and
local businesses to let them know what to expect, and to find out if there
are special sites we need to protect/avoid. (Nowadays those that seem to be
starting to sympathize with us & help us out are often transferred out of
the area for the time of the Gathering)

Businesses in the area around a Rainbow Gathering typically make between a
quarter million and a million dollars in revenues from the presence of our
temporary village. We are also often the only location for many miles where
it rains for a couple weeks, even during drought spells... (How can you have
a Rainbow without the Rain?)

Another reason some of us have felt the need to resist this rulemaking, and
indeed it was fought successfully for over 10 years before it finally passed
in it's current form in 1995, is because of our deeply held belief in the
concept of the Commons; Public land should be available to the Public to
use.

This is what is so frightening to those who like to think they're in Power,
because if we can do it, then anybody can. And that's the biggest threat, as
the public lands get increasingly co-opted by privatization by corporations
who are steadily charging more and more for the Public to enjoy Public
lands...

So, to get into the nuts and bolts of the rest of this story, now that I've
provided a little background, for context, since this on as well as the
Common Dreams article <http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0629-34.htm>
leaves the reader wondering why this "sudden" targetting is happening, and
we are left with the impression that this is an action being taken by the
government seemingly out of "nowhere"... I'll now try and fill you all in on
what I believe to be true, although I am not at this moment on the ground at
the Colorado Gathering, much to my sadness, so cannot attest that what I
believed to be "true" this morning hasn't already changed as things do when
thousands are working together to create H.O.M.E... Heaven On Mother Earth.

Yes, I believe that still, right now at the 2006 Rainbow Gathering of the
Tribes, there is a "roadblock" of sorts; During the daylight hours around
every 3 cars are stopped and those in the vehicle are told by the officers
that the Gathering in Colorado is illegal, and that those entering are
subject to being ticketed for participating in an unpermitted gathering....
The actual offense is: "Use or occupancy of National Forest System land or
facilities without special-use authorization when such authorization is
required."

As is typical when the "Incident Command Team" is invoked by the presence of
an "Incident" - which means there are over 1000 people at the site - the
local law enforcement is called upon to help the FS Law Enforcement (Tree
Pigs) out. This is nothing new, and is a typical situation when ICT
(formerly FEMA) is brought into the picture, as it has been every year since
I can remember - I've been going to Rainbow Gatherings since 1989, and my
first National Gathering was in Colorado in 1992.

Many of us fit the description in the Common Dreams article <
http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0629-34.htm>, with broken down vehicles
and are hitching to the Gathering, and some don't have cell phones... but I
must say that the around one million dollars in revenue is coming from
somewhere and if you do the math, for only around 10,000 people to be
bringing that much money to the local towns, (and spending a lot more in
preparation before we arrive) - many of us are also affluent, and most of us
hold down regular jobs, have careers, mortgages, families, farms, and even
(gasp) well-running vehicles!! We bring what we want to contribute - our
skills, our workshops, our costumes, our literature, our food, our kitchens,
our medical and herbal skills, our tipi lodges, our shovels, our tarps,
rope, saws, water filtration for 10,000 people, barrels for the ovens,
blankets for the sweat lodges, and most of all, our love. And our desire to
create intentional community every year in a different National Forest. To
pray for world peace and healing, to send our healing message to the
universe.... that people CAN do this in the forest, that total strangers CAN
work together and solve all the problems that come with this kind of an
autonomous, leaderless Gathering... of 10,000 + people in the middle of the
forest for a couple weeks... and clean it up without a trace except soil
compaction...

This kind of co-operation has been severely limited in recent years, because
anyone who tries to work with the FS gets labelled an "organizer" of an
illegal gathering, and pressured to sign a permit or do jail time... various
creative responses have been offered over the years, resulting in little
change in this targetting process, and making it very difficult for
necessary preparations to be made before the Family comes H.O.M.E.