[Marxism] English skinheads wave ... Israeli flag!

Nick Fredman n.fredman.11 at scu.edu.au
Tue Sep 15 06:11:21 MDT 2009

A minor point, but "skinhead" is a stylistic rather than a political
position. The cropped head and Doc Marten footed look has historical
connections to ska and reggae, the 80s mod revival, and anti-racism
and leftist politics, as much as to the fascism for dummies and the
particularly stupid form of hardcore punk which are more popularly
associated with the term "skinhead". The latter grouping were often
termed "boneheads" by those identifying with the former set of
associations.

Representative of the "left skins" in the 80s was a UK ska band, the
Redskins, members of the SWP.  Similarly in Australia there was the
Strange Tenants, members of the Moscow-line SPA. The latter played at
the first conference I went to, the Resistance national gathering in
1990. There was a security detail (of more buff comrades than me) in
case the Nazi skins made an appearance, which they apparently were
wont to do at the Tenants' gigs previously. They didn't: the physical
confrontations between fascists and the left had peaked a year or two
before my involvement and boneheads have been pretty much invisible
here since (some no doubt graduating to One Nation in the 90s and
Australia First now). In contrast ska, which is almost by definition
anti-racist, seems to get revived at least every 5 years.