[Marxism] Just Another American Hit Man, Actor and Journalist Living in Iran

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 16 16:29:19 MDT 2009

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/16/just-another-american-hit-man-actor-and-journalist-living-in-iran/?hp
The Lede - New York Times Blog
September 16, 2009, 2:32 pm
Just Another American Hit Man, Actor and Journalist Living in Iran
By Robert Mackey

For some time The Lede has been wondering what sort of person works at
the Web site of Press TV, Iran’s state-supported, English-language
satellite channel. After all, to judge by what’s written on blogs and
Twitter accounts by Web-savvy Iranians who speak English, that part of
the country’s population seems to skew quite heavily against the current
government, which owns Press TV and clearly exerts an influence over its
reports.

Two weeks ago, The Times of London discovered that until recently, the
man running Press TV’s Web site was an American who fled the United
States in 1980 after carrying out a political assassination in the
Washington suburbs on behalf of the Iranian government.

The man, who now uses the name Hassan Abdulrahman, was formerly known as
known as Dawud Salahuddin — which is the name he took at the age of 18
when he converted to Islam and first got involved with Islamist radical
movements in the United States. (Before that he was David Theodore
Belfield, the son of a churchgoing Baptist family from Bay Shore, Long
Island.)

Mr. Abdulrahman first worked on behalf of the Islamic Republic of Iran
when it was little more than a year old. In 1980, he was a security
guard at an Iranian diplomatic office in Washington when he accepted an
assignment from the revolutionary government of Iran to assassinate a
former member of the Shah’s regime living in exile in Bethesda, Md.

At first, Mr. Abdulrahman told The New Yorker in 2002, he tried to
convince the Iranians to let him kill a more prominent American target.
He suggested either Henry Kissinger or Kermit Roosevelt — a grandson of
President Theodore Roosevelt who had orchestrated the 1953 plot to
depose Iran’s prime minister, Mohammad Mossadegh, and return the Shah to
power. But his Iranian handlers were less concerned with striking a
symbolic blow than with eliminating Ali Akbar Tabatabai, the exile who
was holding meetings of a counter-revolutionary group at his home in
Bethesda at the time.

Disguised as a mailman, Mr. Abdulrahman showed up at Mr. Tabatabai’s
front door on July 22, 1980, shot and killed him and then fled to Iran
by way of Canada and Switzerland. In the three decades since, he has
compiled an extraordinary resume in Iran, working by turns as an English
teacher, a war correspondent and a Web editor. He also found time to
fight alongside the Afghan mujahedeen in their war against the Soviets
in the 1980s and act in a film by one of Iran’s leading directors in
2000. Two years ago, when Robert Levinson, a former F.B.I. agent
investigating cigarette smuggling in Iran, disappeared in mysterious
circumstances, it emerged that he had been meeting with Mr. Abdulrahman
just before he went missing.

This month, Mr. Abdulrahman told the Times of London that he had been
Press TV’s chief online editor for three years, but had resigned from
the government-backed Web site two months ago. He was also surprisingly
frank about Press TV’s approach to the news, saying:

No, I don’t think Press TV is about [real journalism]. By its nature,
state journalism is not journalism. They have some programs on there
that might be, but generally it’s not.

While Mr. Abdulrahman’s work for Press TV, apparently since it was
founded in 2007, during President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s first term,
might seem like a tacit endorsement of the current government, his
resignation and frank remarks could indicate that he is not happy with
what the Islamic Republic he killed to defend has become. Indeed Mr.
Abdulrahman, who is married to an Iranian woman and lives in Karaj,
outside Tehran, told The Times of London: “I’m living in a situation
right now that’s a little bit difficult.”

Mr. Abdulrahman also seems to have ties to some of Iran’s leading
reformists. In 2006, the director of a Canadian documentary about his
life in Iran, “American Fugitive: The Truth About Hassan,” explained in
an interview with Maclean’s that Mr. Abdulrahman “was close to Vice
President Mme. [Massoumeh] Ebtekar,” who was a member of reformist
president Mohammad Khatami’s cabinet. Ms. Ebtekar was Iran’s first
female vice president and has been outspoken in her dismay at the
disputed presidential election on her English-language blog. According
to a report in The Tehran Times, she had planned to run for president
herself this year, but decided to support Mir Hussein Moussavi to avoid
splitting the reformist vote.

As a reminder that Iran’s leading reformists are far from the Western
lackeys their conservative opponents suggest, when Mr. Abdulrahman was
acting as an assassin in Washington on behalf of the nascent Islamic
Republic, Ms. Ebtekar was a spokeswoman for the hostage-takers at the
United States Embassy in Tehran.

Mr. Abdulrahman has also been involved with another prominent reformist
with a revolutionary past. In 2001, when Iranian director Mohsen
Makhmalbaf’s film about Afghanistan, “Kandahar,” was released to great
acclaim in the United States, a relative of the man Mr. Abdulrahman
killed in 1980 recognized him as one of the actors in it. In the film,
Mr. Abdulrahman played the part of an African-American convert to Islam
working as a doctor in Afghanistan.
A still frame from the Iranian film “Kandahar,” in which the American
fugitive played a doctor working in Afghanistan.

After Mr. Abdulrahman was recognized, an article in Time magazine
headlined, “A Killer in ‘Kandahar?’” was featured in an Iranian
newspaper. In response, Mr. Makhmalbaf wrote an essay for The Guardian
in which he said that he had no idea of Mr. Abdulrahman’s past when he
cast him in his film, but argued that the assassination had to be