[Marxism] Activist Newsletter

JacDon jacdon at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 20 07:57:42 MDT 2009

September 20, 2009    Issue #150
HUDSON VALLEY ACTIVIST NEWSLETTER/CALENDAR
jacdon at earthlink.net, http://activistnewsletter.blogspot.com/

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
ALL ARTICLES AT:
http://activistnewsletter.blogspot.com/
‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹

CONTENTS

1. REVIVING THE PEACE MOVEMENT OCT. 17 ‹ Save the date! Nationwide peace
demonstrations, including in the Hudson Valley, coincide with the eighth
anniversary of Bush's war in Afghanistan. This is a chance to revive our
antiwar movement. Don't miss it!

2. CLIMATE CHANGE LEGISLATION: TOO HOT TO HANDLE IN CONGRESS
‹ Republicans and other problems beset the Obama Administration's climate
change/energy legislation, but many of the difficulties come from
conservative Democrats.

3. SHUT IT DOWN! ‹ Up to 300 peace demonstrators marched in protest to the
Army Experience Center (AEC)  in Philadelphia Sept. 12, resulting in the
arrest of  six activists.

4. END THE EMBARGO, FREE THE FIVE ‹ Just three days after we demonstrated in
a Mid-Hudson village against the economic and trade sanctions on Cuba,
President Obama announced he was extending them for another year. He
obviously didn't get to read our leaflets.

5. IT'S TOUGH FOR YOUNG WORKERS ‹ If they can find jobs at all, young
workers today have lower-paying jobs than their counterparts did 10 years
ago. Health care is a luxury, and retirement security is something for their
parents, not them."

6. SETBACK FOR CIVIL LIBERTIES ‹ The Obama Administration has made two
decisions this month that eroded civil liberties. One strengthens the
Patriotic Act. The other denies rights to foreign inmates in the Pentagon's
main prison in Afghanistan.

7. AFL-CIO ENDORSES SINGLE-PAYER ‹ It marks the first time in perhaps two
decades that the union federation has formally supported "Medicare for all."

8. IRAN DOES NOT BACK THE TALIBAN  ‹ Contrary to U.S. allegations, Shi'ite
Iran is certainly not aiding the Sunni Taliban.

9. HIDDEN NUMBERS OF ELDERLY IN POVERTY ‹ Poverty among Americans 65 years
and older my be twice as high as official statistics indicate.

10. END OF LIFE COUNSELING ‹ The "death panel" hoax articulated by Sarah
Palin and her ultra-right cohorts amounts to cruel and unusual punishment.

11. BIG FOOD VS. BIG HEALTH INSURANCE ‹ Even the most efficient healthcare
system would still confront a rising tide of chronic disease linked not to
illness or injury but to diet.

12. HONDURAS: VIOLATIONS OF HUMAN RIGHTS ‹ Inter-American Commission
condemns crackdown on civil rights and violations of human rights by right
wing coup regime.

13. NEWS BRIEFS

14. QUOTES IN THE NEWS

ALL ARTICLES AT: