[Marxism] Food imperialism: Norman Borlaug and the Green Revolution

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sun Sep 20 20:22:29 MDT 2009

In January 1975, I was invited to debate Norman Borlaug at Santa Barbara
Community College.  Because of his fame, it was scheduled for a very large
auditorium.  For some reason, he did not or could not show up, but
participated via some video hookup on a movie screen.

I attacked the Green Revolution on several points: Water equity,
pesticides, credit dependency, the Rockefeller interests in seeing greater
consumption of petrochemicals, displacement of small farmers, etc.

He was condescending, but because it was California in the 1970s, I think
that the majority was with me.  But then, as we aging basketball players
say, "the older get, the better I was."

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department