[Marxism] "WW2": interimperialist war to redivide the world

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Mon Sep 21 02:14:08 MDT 2009

David worte some time ago, regarding World War II

>>Or the Indonesians? WHY did they welcome British and US troops
>>then? Was there something WORSE about the Japanese occupation vs the
>>historic Dutch or US occupations?

I don't know what Lou said in reply, because when I click on it I get an
error message. So I hope this doesn't repeat anything.

Who says the Indonesian masses welcomed British and US troops? US troops
don't really figure in this. It would make more sense to refer to Australian
troops. Some Indonesians were indeed pro-western, notablly the followers of
the social democracy and the Communists. However the main section of the
independence movement tactically collaborated with Japan. Which is not to
say that they actually  liked Japanese imperialism, it was all about
positioning themselves for independence.

When the allied troops arrived in Java, there were pitched battles. The
biggest was at Surabaya where the British onslaught was extremely bloody but
did not crush the independence movement.  Further east the Australians
helped install the Dutch butcher Paul Westerling against the will of the
people. It's noteworthy that a lot of Australian rank and file soldiers
sympathised with the Indonesians and helped where they could. Also that
2,000 or so Japanese soldiers deserted to join the Indonesian liberation
struggle, most of them dying in battle.