[Marxism] Juan Cole on Ahmadinejad's latest speech on the holocaust

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Sep 21 11:30:47 MDT 2009

Mark Lause wrote:
> To clarify, I didn't mean that the stories about Ahmadinejad were plants,
> but the stories about what the opposition was chanting.  Until we see a tape
> of it...I'd be skeptical.  As we know, the US particularly tends to shape
> these oppositions to something usable...and perceptions of those oppsoitions
> in particular to something usable.

This is the explanation I got from the Revolutionary Flower Pot blogger
whose word I trust implicitly. In his latest post at
http://revolutionaryflowerpot.blogspot.com/, he called attention to the
slogans that had been raised and which he supported:

• "Ey daad az in jenaayat: Ghazeh biyaa hemaayat!" (Woe be upon this
crime: Gaza come to our support!);
• "Ahmadi-ye terrorist; farqhe to baa Sharon chist?" (You terrorist
Ahmadi[nejad]; what's your difference with Sharon?);
• "Iran shodeh Felesteen; mardom cheraa neshasteen?" (Iran's become
Palestine; why are people sitting around?);
• "Na Ghazeh, na Lobnaan; jaanam fadaaye Iran!" (Neither Lebanon nor
Gaza; I'll give my life for Iran!).

When I asked him if the last slogan could be interpreted as reactionary,
he wrote in reply:

Hi Louis,

When looked at in isolation, I personally find the slogan too
nationalistic, and not very wise, politically speaking. However, in the
context of all the other slogans that were also raised
(indicating/declaring openly that the Iranian people and the
Palestinians are on the same side), I am a bit reassured that the real
sharp point of the slogan, addressed to the coup regime, runs something
like this:

_You, Ahamdinejad-Khamenei coup regime, are saying we the Iranian people
should remain slaves and/or die or at your hands, or die of torture in
your prisons, so that you can pose as a pro-Palestinian bunch. But, we
will die instead for OUR own rights and for our right to be free of your
brutality, which is exactly the same as the Israeli's!

Like everything social, this one too is very multi-sided and should not
be taken in isolation. Anyway ... That's how I see it.