[Marxism] "WW2": interimperialist war to redivide the world

Tom Cod tcod at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 21 13:17:09 MDT 2009

I appreciate where David is coming from but I think here he is giving the Devil more than his due.  An uncle of mine was in the Marines in WW2 out there and was by no means a flaming radical, but told us that he was always troubled by the Australian planters he ran into out there and the way they "ruthlessly exploited" the natives and their overall racist redneck attitude, a set-up that reminded him of the American south or worse.  As to Indonesia, keep in mind that this was a Dutch colony prior to the Japanese taking it and that some Indonesian including Sukarno viewed them as, if not as liberators, then as the lesser evil, something the Japanese pandered to and folks as far afield as Malcolm X picked up on and which is an attitude that it is entirely understandable for them to have had.  I remember really getting into it with a right winger about 25 years ago around the 65 coup/massacre which this guy tried to dismiss on the basis that Sukarno had been a "quisling" for allegedly collaborating with the Japanese during the war.  My response that "at least he didn't collaborate with the Dutch!" didn't seem to register with this jerk.
While I never agreed with the Trotskyist line on World War 2, if there's one area where there so much to debunk this as "the good war" it's the Pacific sTheater which in a lot of ways was a pretty blatant inter-imperialist struggle for colonial domination.  Thus the recriminations later about "who lost China", the latter, meaning the Red Army, only getting limited grudging aid with everyone who had anything to do with that being run out of bourgois politics on a rail as a result during the witchhunt, beginning under Truman.