[Marxism] Turkey: Final Version?

Pat Byrne patbyrneme at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:58:14 MDT 2009

I intrude on this discussion about the upcoming conference in Istanbul with
some trepidation because I can't claim to be a marxist economist.
The problem I have with traditional Marxist economics is that I don't feel
it offers enough assistance on how to intervene in the political process
that Mehmet talks about. Specifically, too much time seems to be spent on
going over the exact meaning of passages from Das Kapital and too little
exploding the mythologies of modern-day capitalism - the 'magic of the
market', the efficiency of the price system etc. Thus the overwhelming
majority of the world's intelligentsia has accepted that despite massive
evidence to the contrary, capitalism is the most effective means of
delivering growth and satisfying demand. This is where Adam Smith's models
needs to be compared to reality.
The second problem I have with Marxist economics is that while the mechanics
of capitalism are obviously important we need also to be able to offer a
convincing set of mechanics for an alternative economy.
Here I think that the broad concept of alienation as applied to the economic
process offers a straightforward and easily understandable solution to the
mass of the population: that the transfer of decision-making away from
capital to the other actors involved in the delivery of products and
services - producers, consumers, and the wider community - is the key to
solving the economic and political problems posed by capitalism.
Apologies if what I write sounds trite or uninformed.
Pat
P.S. I live in Turkey but unfortunately I will be in Ireland while the
conference is on. Hope it goes well.