[Marxism] Turkey: Final Version?

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Tue Sep 22 16:05:47 MDT 2009

The context in which Smith approached alienation was when he was
discussing the need to have a certain kind of person in the militia.
Here he was following his colleague, Adam Ferguson, who was light-years
ahead of him. Ferguson also was the chaplain for a very important
Scottish military brigade.

After Ferguson published his book, Smith was furious accusing him of
plagiarism regarding the division of labor, even though Smith hadn't
published anything on the subject.  Ferguson calmly responded that both
he and Smith used the same French sources (which has been proven true),
although Smith never acknowledged this debt.

Hegel was a keen reader of the Scottish school and no doubt took the
concept from there.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department