[Marxism] In Search of Beethoven

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 23 16:42:41 MDT 2009

Yes, Beethoven did certainly compose "Wellington's Victory..."   Amazing
that nobody bothers to mention what a terrible piece of music it is-- total,
irredeemable dreck, written  by Beethoven with at least the partial intent
to parody/imitate/employ Malzel's (Beethoven's collaborator on and
instigator of this piece) invention-- the panharmonicon.

Yes, he tore up the title page of Symphony #3 (originally named Bonaparate)
when he heard that Napoleon had crowned himself emperor.  Prior to that, of
course, Beethoven was enamored with Napoleon and even considered moving to
Paris.

Any you know what else?  Why Beethoven was subsidized by the decadent German
and Austrian nobility. No! Yes!  He even wrote pieces on commission for, and
dedicated to,  them.  No! Yes!

OMG!!!!!!

I think we're much better off not trying to make of Beethoven anything other
than what he was-- as Robert Greenberg puts it in his lectures on
Beethoven's Symphonies-- "genius and troublemaker."  His democracy, his
liberty, and freedom, his overthrow of convention is his music.  It's all
about the music, not Beethoven's politics.

(With thanks to Dennis Brasky)