[Marxism] In Search of Beethoven

John Sperry Nickerson strangelythanthemoon at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 18:03:43 MDT 2009

Concerning the more conservative elements of Fidelio, it has always bothered
me that many have considered the end of Act I (the prison choir) as 'proof'
of Beethoven's democratic sympathies; there's always something amiss. True,
the prisoners dread being subjected to constant observation, but it always
feels like Beethoven thinks that it is the existence of even an even more
thorough observer that mitigates their suffering, and that this carries over
to dilemma of Florestan (where Pizarro is to be resisted, only insofar as he
fails to perfectly oppress).