[Marxism] In Search of Beethoven

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 23 19:54:26 MDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Pace" <ian at ianpace.com>

IP: I can hardly think of anything I've read on Beethoven (and I've read a
great  deal) that *doesn't* claim that this work is awful.
   ___________________

That's because it is a truly awful piece.  That it made money, and brought
Beethoven acclaim is the result of public, political, sentiment.
______________

IP: that's not a view I adhere to,  thinking instead that some seeds of his
late style (but pre- the late  quartets) were sown there. A move away from
individualistic bourgeois  heroism towards militarism.
__________________

Warning! Linear correspondence between music and politics being attempted!
The ship will self destruct in T minus 5 minutes.

IP: The whole conception of 'genius' has come under sustained scrutiny by
recent Beethoven scholars.

Again his genius, his troublemaking is in his music-- his "violation" and
recomposition of the "rules" of harmony, melody, rhythm.  I don't see any
reason or need to argue about that.

IP:  I don't really accept that the music doesn't in itself constitute a
form of  politics.