[Marxism] Character of Assembly Line Work

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 26 07:33:37 MDT 2009

I think we're missing the "totality" of assembly line production if we
concentrate on automobile manufacturing which has undergone tremendous
technological transformation reducing the labor time necessary for auto
production by some 60 percent.

If we want to look at "modern" assembly line production, we need to look at
those "lighter" industries that have developed and developed through the
exploitation, mainly, of female labor.  We need to look at food-processing
plants [particularly chicken products], electronic component assembly,
textiles and clothing-- we need to look at the maquilladoras, internal and
external.