[Marxism] Chavez was right [was: RE: Chávez and Holocaust indifference]

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Sep 28 08:01:37 MDT 2009

On Sep 28, 2009, at 8:34 AM, Néstor Gorojovsky wrote:
> 2009/9/27 XxxxXxxx XxYyXxx <xxxxxxx99 at xxxxxxx.xxx>:
>> ...and who instead want to talk about whether Chávez was or not in
>> his ‘right’ to say what he did, right granted by whom? God?
>>
> When we talk about the "political right" to act one way or another we
> are talking about the usefulness of such actions for the general
> struggle of the working and toiling masses against the continuity of
> capitalist regime. Some in the past, and not few in the present
> (sometimes Chávez himself), have thought that this boring phrase could
> be substituted by the idea of "God". It is up to them to believe it or
> not. But yes, for a Marxist it is that "God" which decides whether we
> are acting "right" or "wrong".

Lacking an infallible, and plain-spoken, oracle,  we alas often have
to wait a long time--sometimes even decades--to learn whether "God"
has decided that a particular action will turn out to have been useful
or harmful.  In the meantime, we either have to decide on the basis of
our own analyses which of the two is more likely to be the case--and
because history is a very mixed bag subject to the *List des
Vernunfts* reasonable certainty is rather rare; or else we have to
form criteria on the basis of our fundamental principles that tell us
what sort of acts can sometimes be helpful, and which never can.

Public expressions of friendship or solidarity with
counterrevolutionary murderers like Ahmedi-Nejad (or a Brezhnev or
Pinochet before him) fall unequivocally into the second category.

Shane Mage