[Marxism] Chavez was right [was: RE: Chávez and Holocaust indifference]

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 28 08:17:52 MDT 2009

LW:  I actually do think that the unity of "Third World" countries is
something to
celebrate.

  One should remember also that both Iran and Venezuela were among the
five founding members of OPEC [Organization of Petroleum Exporting
Countries] in 1960, the cartel of "Third World" countries trying to break
the
control of the "Seven Sisters", i.e. the oil trusts of imperialist
countries, over
the world petroleum market.
________________________

Pretty hilarious, no?  OPEC in 1960, not to mention 1973, was an
anti-imperialist attempt to break the control of the oil trusts?  Sure it
was, and shame on everyone for not realizing how anti-imperialist the Shah
was back then.  And Betancourt, who after all, instituted the 50-50 tax.
And Carlos Andres Gomez, too. Hey, how about the Faisals? Don't forget them.
If only we had realized how truly nationalist, anti-imperialist those guys
were.... hell, there would be no need for a revolution.

And how has OPEC functioned, in fact, in history?  As an anti-imperialist
bloc, even in 1973?  Or as the agent, the stalking horse, the whip of the
bourgeoisie in general, and the US bourgeoisie in particular?  Let's look at
the record, as is often said.  1968-69, rate of return in the US oil
industry tanks, inflation accelerates, recession follows.  1971 OPEC starts
to flex a little bit of its anti-imperialist muscle.  1973 OPEC flexes all
its anti-imperialist muscle and what happens?  Rate of return for the oil
majors recovers.  That's one helluva of breaking the control of the oil
trusts.

And then... and then, well steep recession 1974-75, and then the recycling
during the recovery of all those petro-dollars into US banks and from US
banks into-- why into the governments of 3rd world countries, who amass
debt, and then... and then the 2nd OPEC shock, and another boost for the oil
trusts, but not for the third world countries, which, in the ensuing
recession get caught with lots of debt and little money to pay it, thus
inaugurating the "lost decade" in Latin America.

And then.... well with continued overproduction, the price of oil collapses,
and so does the Mexican economy, dependent as it was on oil revenues.  OK,
OPEC claims its victim.  Is it an oil major?  Does the compensated
nationalization of  the Arab-American Oil Company, Aramco, bring Standard
Oil/Exxon to its knees?  Not hardly.  OPEC brings a 3rd world oil producer
to its knees.

And then... another price collapse in 85-86, undertaken by the Saudis at the
behest of the US, cripples... an oil trust?  Not exactly.  A 3rd world
country?  Not exactly. A 2nd world country?  Exactly, the USSR.  That's some
anti-imperialism going on.

And then... after the price collapse of 1998, who comes to the rescue of the
oil trusts and their single digit rates of return?  Why, look up in the sky,
it's a bird, it's a plan, no... it's SuperOilman.  It's our friendly OPEC,
announcing production cuts to get the price up,  and when that temporary
measure loses its power, what do we get then?  The invasion of Iraq.

If OPEC didn't exist, the bourgeoisie would have had to invent it.  OPEC did
exist, and the bourgeoisie still had to invent it.
______________

And on another point,  Nestor gives a stirring, impassioned defense of
Chavez based on...basically on a loyalty to "developmentalism," that somehow
Chavez, bonapartist or not,  is a national democratic, vaguely socializing
character who is "sternly" creating the means of production in Venezuela.
Oh, bullshit.  If creating the means of production in Venezuela is somehow a
goal, in and of itself, divorced from the social relations surrounding such
development, then we ought to tip our hats to the aforementioned Gomez,
inducting him into the pantheon of national, vaguely revolutionary heroes.

There is no meaningful development of means of production separate and apart
from the social relations of production.  There is no "independent"
"national" development of the means of production in less developed
countries separate and apart from the world markets, from the circuits of
international capital, without an unvague social revolution.  What makes
Chavez different, so far, is not his fidelity to "national development," is
in fact probably not Chavez himself at all,   but the strong egalitarianism,
the strong social, class movement in Venezuela, which if it is to be
successful, will be forced to confront in every less vague terms, capital as
capital, not as "development."

And thus we can  that the single "terrain" on which we judge Chavez and his
"friends," his relationship with Iran, is not whether it strengthen his
efforts at "sternly" creating the means of production, but where it
strengthens, domestically and internationally, that class movement.