[Marxism] Chavez was right [was: RE: Chávez and Holocaust indifference]

Joaquin Bustelo jbustelo at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 28 16:28:25 MDT 2009

Mina Khanlarzadeh: "then what is the difference between Hugo Chavez and Fox
news? they both ignore atrocities commited by their favorite governments."

Another demonstration of how imperialist pressure distorts people's
thinking. To put an equal signs between the white genocide against native
peoples or the crimes of American imperialism in Afghanistan and Iraq today
and the alleged rhetoric of Ahmadinejad around the holocaust or the supposed
repression in Iran betrays complete disorientation.

And I say "alleged rhetoric" and "supposed repression" because, as we say in
Spanish, "a mi no me consta": I do not know these things for a fact. And
I've been in the journalism racket long enough to be suspicious of reports
about an alleged outrageous statement that do not have the direct quote in
the second sentence. And I am also suspicious of alleged "tweeter
revolutions" in countries where 99% of the people don't have Internet and
the local language doesn't even use the same character set as English. That
raises the very interesting question: ¿who are these rank and file
demonstrators who supposedly send reports IN ENGLISH to U.S. and other
imperialist news organizations?

As to "what is the difference between Hugo Chavez and Fox News," the
difference is precisely this: Hugo Chavez is the president of Venezuela, Fox
News is a right-wing journalistic outlet.

This raises the question of why Hugo Chavez is expected to comment on these
matters that in no way involve Venezuela. He isn't a bourgeois calumnist nor
a talking head gasbag on TV: there is a world of difference between what a
president is supposed to do and what a TV news network is supposed to do. In
the specific case of Chavez, his commitment is to defend the interests of
Venezuela as a nation and of its working people. I know this is a difficult
concept for many on the left (and especially I think from the Trotskyist
tradition) but commentary from the sidelines is not the essence of politics.
The essence of politics is relating to real live forces.

In this regard, Chavez is undoubtedly correct to try to develop and solidify
a common front of Third World countries and not join in imperialist
campaigns to isolate a country like Iran. Especially at a time when Iran is
under growing imperialist pressure and even threats of military attacks.

Joaquin