[Marxism] Chavez was right [was: RE : Chávez and Holocaust indifference]

johnedmundson at paradise.net.nz johnedmundson at paradise.net.nz
Mon Sep 28 17:28:49 MDT 2009

Quoting Joaquin Bustelo <jbustelo at bellsouth.net>:

> [For those afflicted with English monolingualism, a translation
> follows.]

Might I just remind Joaquin that the definition of monolingualism is not he
inability to speak Spanish. In the USA, that might be the most obvious or
meaningful instance of monolingualism but in other parts of the world it is not,
and a great number of the people on this list are from places outside the USA.
Should we accuse the Turkish comrades, or the Iranians, or the Russians, who
post here in English (their second or subsequent language) of monolingualism,
simply because the don't speak Spanish? I can read Spanish to point, but can't
speak it. My kids can (my daughter's currently in Chile). But I could once speak
German and French, although I'm very rusty since I get little opportunity to use
either. In New Zealand when I was at school Spanish was unavailable. But I'd
hazard a guess that the majority of people on this list are at least bilingual,
but that a minority are competent Spanish speakers, or at least a minority of
those from outside Spain and the Americas.

For what it's worth though, I largely agreed with what Joaquin had to say about
Chavez.
Cheers,
John