[Marxism] Are worker-owned companies an alterative to capitalism?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Sep 29 11:46:05 MDT 2009

This is a follow-up to my review of Michael Moore’s “Capitalism: a Love
Story”. I neglected to discuss his proposals for an alternative to
capitalism, which boil down to worker-owned firms or cooperatives. He
interviews the top guy at the Alvarado Street Bakery in California,
whose website describes a cooperative as “an autonomous association of
persons united voluntarily to meet their common economic, social, and
cultural needs and aspirations through a jointly-owned and
democratically-controlled enterprise”. He also visits a robotics
manufacturer in Wisconsin that operates on the same basis.

read full article:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2009/09/29/are-worker-owned-companies-an-alterative-to-capitalism/