[Marxism] Are worker-owned companies an alterative to capitalism?

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Sep 29 12:08:40 MDT 2009

Yugoslavia under Tito attempted to
institute an economic system based
on worker cooperatives on a nation-wide
scale.  That system experienced contradictions
between attempts to institute worker democracy
within companies and the attempts to base
the economy on free markets rather than central
planning.  Over time, as the  Yugoslavian regime
increasingly emphasized making the economy
more market oriented, democracy within
worker-managed firms eroded, since in
such an economy, professional managers
were better suited to making the sorts
of decisions that such an economy required
than were the worker councils.

Jim F.