[Marxism] Are worker-owned companies an alterative to capitalism?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Sep 29 12:15:43 MDT 2009

farmelantj at juno.com wrote:
> Yugoslavia under Tito attempted to
> institute an economic system based
> on worker cooperatives on a nation-wide
> scale.

As far as I know, the factories were owned by the state and not by the
workers. They competed with each other under a form of workers control
but I don't believe that the organizing principle was based on profit.
That, of course, was revealed to be true when imperialism decided to
wipe the Titoist experiment off the face of the earth when Milosevic was
president.