[Marxism] The Banality of Anti-Israel Lobby Doctrine

Dennis Brasky dmozart1756 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 18:33:33 MDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Tom Cod <tomcod3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I could never understand "banal" or "banality" as a put down, something
> that
> apparently has its origins in Hannah Arendt's petty snobbery.  I remember
> as
> a kid we would be shown episodes of Walter Cronkite's "Twentieth Century"
> in
> school where he would sanctimoniously intone in a voice over of a clip of
> Hitler petting his dog Blondi that this showed the Nazis "banality of
> evil"?
>  Huh, so good is never commonplace or banal?  people who pet dogs are banal
> and "have no class".  Maybe more accurately the statement would be, the
> banality of certain Allied propaganda.
>
> Maybe Blankfort is neither banal nor grandiose, but a well meaning,
> misguided guy who may simply be mistaken.

This from a long-time activist in the struggle against Zionism --

Thanks Dennis. More should be written in this vein. I'd say that practically
the entire Palestinian solidarity movement is reflexively - and mindlessly -
of the Blankfort opinion. Very few, however, have made an actual career of
bashing that colossus, Noam Chomsky, as Blankfort has. A bizarre way of
hoisting oneself onto the shoulders of a giant. Incidentally, Palestinian
intellectuals see Chomsky as probably their staunchest and most effective
long-time advocate. Which he has been for the past 45 to 50 years.