[Marxism] Poll: Waning support for Obama on wars - fell to 36%, down from 48%

Dennis Brasky dmozart1756 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 10:12:20 MDT 2010

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2010-08-02-afghan-poll_N.htm

By Richard Wolf <http://content.usatoday.com/topics/reporter/Richard+Wolf>,
USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — Public support for President Obama's Afghanistan war policy has
plummeted amid a rising U.S. death toll and the unauthorized release of
classified military documents, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll shows.

Support for Obama's management of the war fell to 36%, down from 48% in a
February poll. Now, a record 43% also say it was a mistake to go to war
there after the terrorist attacks in 2001.

The decline in support contributed to the lowest approval ratings of Obama's
presidency. Amid a lengthy recession, more Americans support his handling of
the economy (39%) than the war.

Even Obama's handling of the war in
Iraq<http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Events+and+Awards/War/Iraq+War>received
record-low approval, despite a drawdown of 90,000 troops and the
planned, on-schedule end of U.S. combat operations there this month.

Only 41% of those surveyed Tuesday through Sunday approved of the way Obama
is handling his job, his lowest rating in the USA TODAY/Gallup Poll since he
took office in January 2009. In Gallup's separate daily tracking poll, his
approval was at 45% Monday.

The waning support for the Afghanistan war coincides with the deaths of a
record 66 U.S. servicemembers in July, up from 60 in June. As the last of
30,000 reinforcements ordered by Obama enter the country, the international
military force is encountering heavy
Taliban<http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Organizations/Military+and+Paramilitary/Taliban>resistance
in the southern provinces of Kandahar and Helmand.

"It's hard to find any positive news that would boost public opinion," says
Richard Eichenberg of Tufts
University<http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Organizations/Schools/Tufts+University>,
who studies presidential polling and foreign policy.

The drop in support also follows the online posting of more than 76,000
documents by WikiLeaks. Two-thirds of those polled said it was wrong for the
website to publish the documents.

Obama said Monday that he'll stick to his war plan: training Afghans to
provide their own security, then beginning to withdraw troops in July 2011.
The poll showed most Americans agree: 57% want a timetable for removing
troops, and two-thirds of those say withdrawal should be done gradually.

"We will continue to face huge challenges in Afghanistan," Obama told the
Disabled American Veterans in Atlanta. "It's important that the American
people know that we are making progress and we are focused on goals that are
clear and achievable."

In a CBS interview that aired earlier Monday, Obama said, "If I didn't think
that it was important for our national security to finish the job in
Afghanistan, then I would pull them out today, because I have to sign
letters to these families — families who have lost loved ones."

Obama's address in Georgia was focused on this month's end of U.S. combat
operations in Iraq — a commitment Obama made early last year. A force of
50,000 U.S. servicemembers will stay to train Iraqi security forces, conduct
counterterrorism missions and protect civilian operations.

"Make no mistake: Our commitment in Iraq is changing, from a military effort
led by our troops to a civilian effort led by our diplomats," Obama said.