[Marxism] Swans Release: August 9, 2010

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Aug 8 18:04:02 MDT 2010

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:00:28 -0400 Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes:

> Welcome to Swans Commentary  http://www.swans.com/  August 9, 2010
>
> * Many thanks to Walter Trkla for his generous financial
> contribution. *
>
> Note from the Editors:  We are profoundly saddened that Professor
> Tony
> Judt, the director of NYU's Erich Maria Remarque Institute, passed
> away
> on August 6, 2010, at the young age of 62. Gratefully, Louis Proyect
> was
> able to write on very short notice a thoughtful appreciation in
> which he
> traces the principled evolution of this British historian and
> intellectual from Francophile Cold War liberal and young Zionist to
> rigorous critic of Israel, capitalism, and our materialistic culture
>
> based on hyper-consumption. Indeed, a remarkable evolution by a
> remarkable man. Tony Judt will be direly missed and we dedicate this
>
> issue to his legacy, beginning with the tragic consequences of our
> "success" in Iraq: the utter destruction of 6,000 years of culture,
>
> completely ignored by the mainstream media but not by Gilles
> d'Aymery.

Since Lou contrasts Judt with Wieseltier, it should be noted
for the record, that even an arch-Zionist like Wieseltier
found the Israeli attack on the flotilla a bit too much
to stomach:
http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/75287/operation-make-the-world-hate-u

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant