[Marxism] Hard Times (Lurker Does the Impossible)

Matt matt2641 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 09:59:35 MDT 2010

On 8/9/2010 10:44 AM, Mike Alewitz wrote:

> Louis has written much about art and culture that I agree with, but he may have slipped into a bit of hyperbole in the linked article below, when he states:
>
> "Fred delivered a slashing polemical attack on modernism that made a point that I found hard to disagree with, namely that representational art and representational art alone was capable of commenting on the human condition of the sort we associate with the classic realist novels of Balzac, Victor Hugo, Dickens, Mark Twain, John Steinbeck et al. When you stop and think about it, it is virtually impossible to disagree with this. There are lots of things you can say about a Jackson Pollock painting, but everyone would have to agree with the proposition that it can say nothing about unemployment, hunger, homelessness, etc..."

Not being an art historian (though my first wife had a BA therein) I'm
not sure where the line between representational art and
non-representational art is to be drawn.  But what about this great work
of political art?  It doesn't seem representational to me:

http://s648.photobucket.com/albums/uu208/edesp69/My%20Pix/?action=view&current=guernica.jpg&newest=1

Matt