[Marxism] Cockburn's refreshing take on the California judge's gay marriage ruling

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Aug 10 08:27:31 MDT 2010

David Thorstad wrote:
> August 6 - 8, 2010
>
> http://www.counterpunch.com/cockburn08062010.html
>

>   */CounterPunch Diary /*
>

>   *Marriage's Fiercest Defenders *
>
> By ALEXANDER COCKBURN
> [excerpt] In fact the drive for gay marriage is against the trend of the
> times, which is the single state, or people increasingly united -
> depending on the state they live in -   by some form of civil union for
> the purpose of benefits, pensions, health care, wills, inheritances and
> so forth. Across America, on the last Census, there were  100 million
> unmarried employees, consumers, taxpayers, and voters  who headed up a
> majority of households in 22 states, more than 380 cities.

This is a pointless contribution from Cockburn. Marriage is a
reactionary institution, as anybody who has read its history would
understand.

But gay people should enjoy that *right* in the same way that
mixed race couples should have had during Jim Crow.

I am quite sure that is much more "radical" for a bunch of gay
people to live in a commune enjoying free love, like it was 1968,
but that does not alter the political confrontation taking place
today. Despite the support for one conservative commentator or
another for allowing gay marriage, the religious establishment is
dead set against it, as is the top ranks of the two-party system.
Once there is a federal law to entitle gays to marry, I would
encourage David to rail against it, which is his right. But to
blur over the differences between enjoying such a right and
actually taking advantage of it is a mistake.