[Marxism] Who Says Iran Is Becoming Isolated in the Middle East?

Manuel Barrera mtomas3 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 10 09:06:02 MDT 2010

I'd be interested on your take regarding this recent poll from Shibley Telhami and Zogby International covered in the Huffington Post. From Flynt & Leverett:

-These data set the stage for one of the most remarkable findings in this year's Arab Public Opinion Poll: 57 percent of the respondents believe that Iran's acquisition of nuclear weapons would be a positive outcome for the region; 20 percent believe this would not matter one way or the other, while only 21 percent believes this would be a negative outcome for the region. (By way of comparison, the finding that 57 percent of Arabs believe that Iran's acquisition of nuclear weapons would be a positive outcome for the region is up from 29 percent last year.)

This is truly remarkable. In six Arab countries where the ruling authorities have devoted a lot of effort in recent years telling their people that the Islamic Republic aspires to regional hegemony, is seeking nuclear weapons, and that this would be a bad outcome for Arab interests -- local Arab populations are not buying the argument. Even Marc Lynch had to acknowledge that "there is very little support here for the notion that Arabs are secretly yearning for the United States to attack Iran. Really little." This bolsters our assessment that, however much some Sunni Arab elites -- and we suspect it is not all that many -- may want to see Iran "cut down to size," there is little popular support for confrontation with the Islamic Republic on the Arab street.

Full Article is here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/flynt-and-hillary-mann-leverett/who-says-iran-is-becoming_b_675047.html

Manuel