[Marxism] Cockburn's refreshing take on the California judge's gay marriage ruling

James Holstun jamesholstun at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 10 09:41:02 MDT 2010

Of course, marriage is an economic institution, not just an oppressive sexual or idea system. Cockburn briefly acknowledges this point, then jumps right over it--a recurrent problem for him when it comes to questions bearing on gender in any way.

An analogy to Cockburn's argument:

A: "Wage labor is exploitive, so why should there be laws
allowing LGBT people to engage in it? We need to crush the capitalist
system rather than engaging in piecemeal bourgeois reformism!"

B: "Uh, yes, right. But I need to eat tonight."