[Marxism] Churchill's Empire

Matt matt2641 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 08:53:17 MDT 2010

On 8/13/2010 9:16 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:
> He also saw the Nazi threat far ahead of the complacent
> British establishment, and his extraordinary leadership may have been
> the decisive factor in vanquishing Hitlerism from Europe.

It seems to me the English Channel had a lot more to do with Britain's
survival than Churchill's admittedly powerful oratory.  I wonder: Does
Toyes confront Churchill's bad-faith behavior in delaying the
anticipated Allied invasion of France with the largely pointless (at
least as far as defeating Nazism) campaigns in North Africa and Italy?
The result was millions of deaths in Eastern Europe, including Russian
soldiers and civilians, Jews, and anyone else in the way of the war.
And after that experience, can anyone seriously blame Stalin for not
trusting his "Anglo-American allies" in the postwar period?

Matt Bewig