[Marxism] self-indulgence

Tom Cod tomcod3 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 11:15:31 MDT 2010

Well my late Don Draper like Dad, who was raised in a Roman Catholic family
and became a militant and bitter atheist largely as a result, claimed to me
as a child circa 1960 that there was no Jesus, that all this was a bunch of
"superstition" that medieval priests had invented to oppress people (which
later became an issue in my parents' bitter divorce resulting in my being
sent to an Anglican boarding school for several years).  I was later
corrected on this by a medieval history professor in the 70s: that the guy
actually existed as corroborated by Josephus etc.

In that regard I thought that Scorcese's depiction in "Last Temptation of
Christ" was historically credible in its depiction of Jesus and particularly
of Pilate, played by David Bowie, who would not have washed his hands of
anything but rather in the spirit of an SS commander of the Eastern Front
viewed him with contempt as merely some crackpot riff raff to be ruthlessly
dealt with in the ordinary course of imperial rule.