[Marxism] Churchill's Empire

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Fri Aug 13 14:02:55 MDT 2010

Louis Proyect (lnp3 at panix.com) wrote on 2010-08-13 at 10:16:16 in  about
[Marxism] Churchill's Empire:

> This is a real Churchill, and a dark one  but it is not the only
> Churchill. He also saw the Nazi threat far ahead of the complacent
> British establishment, and his extraordinary leadership may have been
> the decisive factor in vanquishing Hitlerism from Europe.

  Churchill was certainly no opponent of fascism as the means to put down
the workers in Germany, Italy, Spain etc (did Churchill help the Spanish
republic to fight the fascists under Franco? Certainly not). I guess one could
find positive opinions voiced by Churchill regarding the "successes" of the
Nazis taking power in Germany, i.e. destroying the working class movement
root and branch.

  Churchill only objected to Germany demanding to redistribute the British
Empire as the "planetary estate" to be redistributed among the world powers.
And Hitler's central thesis, as written down in his book, was that Germany
had to be a world power, or it would not be. "To be a world power, or not to
be" that was Hitler's motto, which Churchill could not accept.

   But even his much more energetic defense of the empire than
Chamberlain's, by way of securing the colonies first before putting down the
enemy in his own country, could not help to evade the inevitable fate of the
British empire, and he had to concede to the superior partner USA the "open
door" to its colonies, and sign the declaration that there should be free
access to the world's riches and that no country should exclude others --
that was the death knell of the British Empire in the Atlantic Charter.

Cheers,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany