[Marxism] leader of Clydeside work-in dies

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 10:50:10 MDT 2010

I can't come up with much right now as far as links to discussions of
the tactic, but some examples we can all research:
Charles Woolfson and John Foster had a book called "The Politics of
the UCS Work-in." Haven't read it, but I have read their excellent
book on the later occupation of the Caterpillar factory in Scotland.
This wasn't strictly speaking an all-out work-in, as they only built
one tractor (and symbolically donated it to Africa famine relief).
Then there's the Lip Factory work-in in France; the "active strikes"
in Poland, which overlapped with the drive for national workers'
self-management. This last is the most important political point. That
drive was crushed by the Solidarnosc leadership.
In contrast, the worker coops profiled by Naomi Klein were not
generally, as far as I know, part of an effort for seeking control of
the whole economy. The utopian anarchist notion was that a separate
sector of worker coops was all that could and should be pursued at
that point.
Of course there's a very rich literature on the topic of workers'
self-management, within which are some discussions of work-ins.
(Including at Upper Clydeside itself, which led to a rich debate about
example what was meant by "workers' control.")