[Marxism] Youtube copyright question

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 18 08:19:37 MDT 2010

Erik Toren wrote:

> It will all depend on the owner of the copyright. Some artists or
> corporations have paid businesses to scour youtube to take down videos. Some
> don't. Your video could last a couple of hours or it could last there for a
> while. If it's there for a couple days it may last longer, but just hope for
> the best. It will all depend on the material involved.

I doubt that Bob Dylan would worry about 15 seconds of Desolation
Row but I guess my real question is about the fingerprinting
software that Youtube supposedly uses. If it "catches" the Dylan
fingerprint, I am assuming that it will be automatically deleted.
But if it gets past it, it would seem to be fairly permanent as my
use of the Dvorak would indicate. This copyright stuff seems
pretty murky, especially in light of the ocean of copyrighted
material on Youtube. It would seem that they would be most
interested in, for example, blocking new movies with Julia Roberts
or albums by pop stars.