[Marxism] Youtube copyright question

Einde O'Callaghan eindeoc at freenet.de
Wed Aug 18 10:02:16 MDT 2010

On 18.08.10 15:52, Louis Proyect wrote:

> I am planning to put something up in a week or so that
> incorporates brief passages from Bob Dylan albums and still shots
> from a Charlie Chaplin movie, both of which presumably are covered
> by copyright. I have already put something on Youtube that
> includes a brief passage from a Dvorak string quartet that has not
> been deleted. If something goes up, how long does it take for
> their human or electronic censors to take it down? If it is up for
> a couple of days, can I assume that it will stay?

Sony have blocked most Dylan YouTube videos in Germany because Sony now
own CBS, Dylan's record company. the reason seems to be some dispute
between Sony and German Internet providers about royalties. But from
what you describe later in the thread I suspect that you won't have any
real problems under "fair use".

Einde O'Callaghan