[Marxism] Can Technology Bring on a World Wide Social Revolution?

Jeffrey Thomas Piercy snail at mqduck.net
Wed Aug 18 13:51:12 MDT 2010

On 08/18/2010 10:29 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:
> http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/can_technology_bring_on_a_world_wide_social_revolution/

Wow, this Kris Notaro guy even has me beat when it comes to
technological optimism. Still, it demonstrates what I like about
anarchists: freed from a sense that they have all the answers, they seem
to be in a continual state of trying to come up with some.

Anyway, I know very little about networking, but his talk of
peer-to-peer, anonymous networking reminds me quite a bit of Freenet.

http://freenetproject.org/
>From the site:
--------------------------
Freenet is free software which lets you anonymously share files, browse
and publish "freesites" (web sites accessible only through Freenet) and
chat on forums, without fear of censorship. Freenet is decentralised to
make it less vulnerable to attack, and if used in "darknet" mode, where
users only connect to their friends, is very difficult to detect.

Communications by Freenet nodes are encrypted and are routed through
other nodes to make it extremely difficult to determine who is
requesting the information and what its content is.

Users contribute to the network by giving bandwidth and a portion of
their hard drive (called the "data store") for storing files. Files are
automatically kept or deleted depending on how popular they are, with
the least popular being discarded to make way for newer or more popular
content. Files are encrypted, so generally the user cannot easily
discover what is in his datastore, and hopefully can't be held
accountable for it. Chat forums, websites, and search functionality, are
all built on top of this distributed data store.