[Marxism] Can Technology Bring on a World Wide Social Revolution? (Marx answer)

Manuel Barrera mtomas3 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 19 08:03:06 MDT 2010

I don't believe there is anything in what Marx or any other true revolutionist has or would say that circumvents the organization and mobilization of the working masses to achieve working class ownership, control, and power over the means of production toward building a communist society. Every means of communication and technical progress that facilitates both the lives and, most importantly, the strategic aims and needs of working class power are, of course, useful, necessary, and desirable. One only needs to see the fight going regarding "net neutrality" to understand that technical progress--whether information technology, machine, biological, or otherwise--involves  every struggle for humanity's control over our lives and the struggle for working class power. That proposition has never changed since the inception of capitalism whether workers had looms, teacher had blackboards, or children have cell phones. We may all marvel, or at least breath a sigh of relief, for the ease in our lives that technology has brought. But, That Can Never Allow Us To Believe That Change in Class Relations In Which Capital Is Buried Once and For All Will Happen Just Because We Now Have Laptops To Organize Our Struggles Against the Capitalist Class. Or, did you forget with whom Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and the host of technology entrepreneurs stand?
No, Technology Will Not Bring on World Wide Social Revolution. Facilitate It? Perhaps or Perhaps Not; It's Always Up To Us.

Manuel