[Marxism] Behind the attack on tenure

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Aug 19 11:37:15 MDT 2010

As has happened in past economic crises, the ruling class is using
this one as an opportunity to drive down the cost of labor. In a
highly revealing article on the Mott Apple Juice strike, the NY
Times reported:

Tim Budd, a 24-year employee who belongs to the union’s bargaining
team, said he was shocked by one thing the plant manager said
during negotiations.

	“He said we’re a commodity like soybeans and oil, and the price
of commodities go up and down,” Mr. Budd recalled. “He said there
are thousands of people in this area out of jobs, and they could
hire any one of them for $14 an hour. It made me sick to have
someone sit across the table and say I’m not worth the money I make.”

While there are no obvious similarities between college professors
and such blue collar folks at first blush, there are growing signs
that the people who run the United States do put them in the same
category, at least on the basis of a gathering storm against
tenure, an “entitlement” that the rich bastards would like to get
rid of, along with Social Security and all the rest.

As is increasingly the case, the propaganda against tenure is
coming from nominally liberal sources in tune with the Obama
agenda. On August 11th, Christopher Beam, a snot-nosed Columbia
University graduate from the class of 2006, told Slate readers:

	As tuition climbs and universities struggle to pay their bills,
tenure is starting to look unaffordable. Keeping a professor
around indefinitely—tenure means they can’t be forced to
retire—simply costs a lot.

full:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2010/08/19/behind-the-attack-on-tenure/