[Marxism] Larger dimensions of the Cordoba House attack

James Holstun jamesholstun at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 24 08:10:44 MDT 2010

<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;
	mso-font-charset:1;
	mso-generic-font-family:roman;
	mso-font-format:other;
	mso-font-pitch:variable;
	mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;
	mso-font-charset:0;
	mso-generic-font-family:swiss;
	mso-font-pitch:variable;
	mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{mso-style-unhide:no;
	mso-style-qformat:yes;
	mso-style-parent:"";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	mso-bidi-font-size:13.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;
	mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;}
p.MsoHeader, li.MsoHeader, div.MsoHeader
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Header Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	tab-stops:center 3.25in right 6.5in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	mso-bidi-font-size:13.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;
	mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;}
span.HeaderChar
	{mso-style-name:"Header Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-unhide:no;
	mso-style-locked:yes;
	mso-style-link:Header;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	mso-default-props:yes;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	mso-ansi-font-size:12.0pt;
	mso-bidi-font-size:13.0pt;
	mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;
	mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;
	mso-header-margin:.5in;
	mso-footer-margin:.5in;
	mso-paper-source:0;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
-->

Two signs of the larger dimensions of the Islamophobia
focused on Cordoba House/Park51:

Passive press Islamophobia: in May, there was a terrorist
pipe bomb attack on the Islamic Center of Northeast Florida, while sixty people
were praying there. See
http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2010-05-12/story/pipe-bomb-used-jacksonville-mosque-blast.
Nobody outside Florida seems to know about it. The New York Times didn't deign
to mention it. I get more GOOGLE hits than this attack, and I don't even
explode.

National and local connection: the nationwide attack on
Islam and plans to build mosques in California, Florida, Kentucky, New Jersey,
and elsewhere suggests that the Cordoba House/Park51 controversy has more to do
with Muslim-hating networks than with 9-11. See
http://mondoweiss.net/2010/08/the-new-anti-semitism.html. An early example was
the ruckus around the Roxbury Mosque and Cultural Center, which continues. See
Adam Horowitz, "The New Antisemitism,"
http://mondoweiss.net/2010/08/pro-israel-extremists-have-campaigned-against-an-islamic-cultural-center-before.html.
The leader of this attack was and is Charles Jacobs, President of Americans for
Peace and Tolerance. Last winter, this wonderfully-named Boston group was the
mouthpiece chosen by prudently anonymous locals to attack the entire family of
two of my colleagues (a Muslim husband and wife) here at the University at
Buffalo. Their crime? Working in a Jewish-Muslim interfaith group.
It's going to get worse before it gets even worse. Think about joining a local chapter of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee; despite their frequent placation of mass murderers (inviting Bill and Colin to address their national convention), they're probably the best thing we've got for fighting this horror.