[Marxism] Israel and apartheid

Manuel Barrera mtomas3 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 20:16:31 MDT 2010

"in my experience, few people under 35 or thereabouts are particularly familiar with what apartheid means anyway.  I teach students from So I also think the term "Israel: an apartheid state" reflects the age of the existing left, rather than being useful for engaging the younger audience we so desperately need."

This is a point well-taken, but the point of the analogy of Israel and apartheid is that they are Racists and their Zionist state is Racist: it oppresses the Palestinian masses economically, socially, and politically--perhaps previously by exploiting them for their labor and now by excluding them economically and strangling them into submission. Engaging in precision is always important, but then that precision must be popularized and used to galvanize movement in defense of the oppressed. I am not totally convinced that this insistence on "precision" or the general hostility to making analogies to previous historical forms of racist experience among people of color is not simply so much chauvinism and "Western" impertinence.
Get over it.