[Marxism] cricket lovely cricket

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 16:54:57 MDT 2010

I have CLR James' well known love for cricket as a defensive shield against
all those comrades who roll their eyes when I talk about cricket. I have
followed the game for over half a century and truly I have spent more time
watching and listening and reading about it than practically any other
topic.

So the news yesterday that the Pakistani cricket team had been bribed to
"perform" for the benefit of the bookmakers caused me no end of dismay.

It was the inruption of real politik into the Utopian space of sport and it
sickened.  I was especially saddened to learn that the young 18 year old
rising star Mohammed Amir was one of those caught up in the net of
corruption.

Nothing is sacred to capitalism.  Marx had it oh so right when he said:

If money, according to Augier,  “comes into the world with a congenital
blood-stain on one cheek,” capital comes dripping from head to foot, from
every pore, with blood and dirt.

Ah well... maybe some people will think deeply about the essence of the
problem and how it is simply impossible to construct relationships which are
not based on money in a society where the rich seek to impose the market on
every corner of the world, including our psyches.

comradely

Gary