[Marxism] DDT-resistant bedbugs

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 30 07:37:00 MDT 2010

(Except maybe for Paddy Apling, I don't think we have any Spiked
Online type fans of DDT left on Marxmail. This article on
DDT-resistant bedbugs is all the documentation you need to put the
final nail in the coffin on chemical pesticides.)

http://www.nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/08/in_1913_the_department_of.html

New York, Darwin, and Cimex Lectularious

In 1913, the Department of Agriculture issued a warning to
housewives about a bug called cimex lectularius, then known as a
“chinch,” “crimson rambler,” or “mahogany flat.” Now we call it
something else: a bedbug.

Even then, the bedbug was said to show “a certain degree of
wariness and intelligence from its long association with man.” The
Department of Agriculture chose to look on the bright side: Thank
God the damn thing lost its wings ages ago, because “otherwise
there would be no safety from this pest, even for the most careful
and thorough housekeeper.” Nearly 100 years later, freedom from
cimex is increasingly hard to find. Summer 2010 has been the
Summer of the Bedbug.

They’ve infested Hollisters, Upper East Side apartments, and
fashion-magazine offices. (See the map at the bottom of this
article for a complete listing.)

Mayor Bloomberg’s office, realizing bedbugs have become a public
nuisance and a health risk, released a 39-page report on how it
planned to combat them. Slate noted that the campaign seemed to
consist mostly of speaking sternly to bedbugs from the steps of
City Hall.

If there are more bedbugs than ever, how are we going to get rid
of them? Short answer: We won’t.

Science, logistics, and economics make eradicating or even
controlling New York City’s bedbug population nearly impossible.
Those triplicate red bites on your arm; those sleepless nights
when every piece of dust feels like it’s crawling along your skin;
those friends who are abandoning their apartments and using trash
bags as dressers — welcome to the new normal, circa 2010, also
known as bedbug paradise.

We’ve killed (nearly) all of them once before. The last time we
had the upper hand was in the era of DDT, a miracle pesticide that
razed everything in its path. DDT required one treatment to the
bed, and that’s all she wrote. Bedbug populations plummeted.
Michael Potter, the country’s foremost expert on bedbugs and a man
his brother described to me as the “bedbug Buddha,” wrote that
within three to five years of DDT’s introduction, “it became hard
to find populations of bedbugs on which to do further testing —
another testament to the knockout punch of the material.” It meant
cuddling up with a deadly neurotoxin, but hey, win some, lose some.

Just as the bedbugs were dying off, something predictable to
students of Darwin occurred: new outbreaks of bugs that were
resistant to DDT. They had evolved. Sixty years later, DDT is no
longer on the market, and bedbugs are still making evolutionary
progress.

Scientists, exterminators, and bedbug advocates (or, rather,
advocates for the stricken members of homo sapiens) all told me
that they’re seeing increasing resistance to pesticide in today’s
bug populations. They city’s dense housing stock and army of
pesticide-toting exterminators have combined to press the
fast-forward button on evolution. A few years ago, a team of
researchers found that New York’s bedbug populations had levels of
resistance to the most commonly used pesticides that were 264
times higher than a colony of bugs in Florida.

Bugs pick up pesticide toxins topically. From there it seeps into
their body, where the toxin should, theoretically, begin to take
control of its nervous system. A susceptible bug will then start
to twitch as its nerves — which normally control mobility,
breathing, and blood flow — go into overdrive. Eventually the bug
dies.

The problem is that pesticides have already killed off a lot of
the weaker bedbugs. Nature has selected for the sturdier guys that
can withstand larger toxic doses. Consider another endemic New
York City resident: the barfly. Six drinks will send a lightweight
under the table. But it will give the merest beginnings of a boozy
buzz to the guy who’s at McSorley’s every night. Among the
bedbugs, there are more and more alcoholics, and they're all
high-functioning.

(It is no consolation, but pesticide-resistant bedbugs may be the
least of our problems if the dire predictions of widespread
antibiotic resistance come to pass.)

So, what to do with these genetic superbugs? Burn them. And if
that doesn’t work, freeze ‘em. Exterminators no longer just treat
houses with pesticide, as they did in the forties. Now they’re
employing the full arsenal. That includes using heat and steam
machines that reach over 180 degrees. In other scenarios,
exterminators use what is essentially dry ice to freeze them, like
they’re a villain from Batman.

These techniques have their own weaknesses: They don’t find any of
the bugs that have already scurried to safety. The heat, steam,
and freeze are contact killers — if they miss the bedbugs when
they’re first applied, they miss completely. Pesticides, on the
other hand, can kill the things long after the exterminator is
gone, assuming the bugs are susceptible. It’s the difference
between being shot by a sniper and stumbling over a land mine.

Even those measures sometimes are not enough. If
pesticide-resistant bugs are hiding in wallboards or deep
crevices, nothing is going to kill them — and they can stay hidden
for upwards of a year without food. That leaves us with the the
nuclear option of extermination: fumigation. It’s the only thing
that will guarantee 100 percent eradication. But it’s expensive
and hard to pull off in a densely packed city. You need to contain
the area being fumigated, not allowing anyone in or out, and
that’s not possible in a 40-unit Lower East Side walk-up. Plus
it’s often far more expensive than the pesticide/heat/freeze
regimen, which, according to Jeffrey White at Bed Bug Central,
usually runs $800-$1,200. Michael Batenburg, proprietor of the
cleverly named Bed, Bugs, and Beyond says he could find a
fumigator for $1,000. (He also said we should be gassing
everything — including people — that comes in from another
country, so take that advice with a few grains of
non-bedbug-killing sodium chloride.)

Many places can barely afford the normal extermination regime, let
alone fumigation. And that economic calculus, not the pesticide
resistance, is the real reason experts say we’re never going to
kill bedbugs once and for all. Ray Lopez, a member of the city’s
bedbug advisory board, told me there are plenty of people in East
Harlem that can’t get their landlords to bring exterminators in.
(This is illegal.) He offers them advice on how to deal with the
issue themselves, but it isn’t nearly as effective as what
exterminators can do on a massive fumigation budget. Bedbugs are
equal-opportunity infesters, but bringing them under control may
ultimately depend — like so many other New York City real-estate
matters — on the size of your paycheck.