[Marxism] The Internet as social movement

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 30 10:51:24 MDT 2010

The Editors
Internet as Social Movement
A brief history of webism

Alexander Blok was enchanted by the Bolshevik Revolution. The
leading poet of the pre-revolutionary symbolist school, Blok and
his pale handsome face had been freighted in the years before 1917
with all the hopes and dreams of the Russian intelligentsia. In
early 1918, when that intelligentsia was still making fun of the
crudeness, the foolishness, the presumption of the Bolsheviks—the
way contemporary intellectuals once made fun of Wikipedia—Blok
published an essay urging them to cut it out. “Listen to the
Revolution,” he counseled, “with your bodies, your hearts, your
minds.”

Three years later, Blok was dead, and Vladimir Mayakovsky, the
tribune of the Revolution, wrote his obituary. “Blok approached
our great Revolution honestly and with awe,” Mayakovsky wrote. But
it was too much for him: “I remember, in the first days of the
Revolution, I passed a thin, hunched-over figure in uniform
warming itself by a fire near the Winter Palace. The figure called
out to me. It was Blok. We walked together. . . . I said, ‘How do
you like it?’ ‘It’s good,’ said Blok, and then added: ‘They burned
down my library.’”

full: http://nplusonemag.com/internet-as-social-movement